Config-ssh-shell usage

yep, that is expected. That needs to be "virtualbox" as a string, or :virtualbox as a symbol. Just virtualbox is an undefined variable.

Hi,

i can confirm that

config.vm.synced_folder ".", "/vagrant", disabled: true

really disables the syncronisation. I was able to successfully start the VM.

How can we go forward to bring the changes like the “ill” communicator to a release. It seems that also other users are wating for this.

Hey @soapy1

I can also confirm that your communicator works with the network appliance.

I added it at /opt/vagrant/embedded/gems/2.2.15/gems/vagrant-2.2.15/plugins/communicators/ill.

In the Vagrantfile I removed

config.ssh.keep_alive = false
config.ssh.shell = "tclsh"
config.vm.allow_fstab_modification = false
config.vm.allow_hosts_modification = false

and added

config.vm.communicator= "ill"

vagrant up and vagrant provision work as expected :partying_face:

Can’t wait to see it merged. What are your thoughts?

Awesome, glad that worked out.

As I mentioned earlier, this approach is still a little hack-y. It might cause unexpected behaviors from Vagrant (like with synced folders). So, I don’t think it should be merged into Vagrant proper. However, it could go into an external plugin that would be installable as something like vagrant plugin install vagrant-ill-communicator (or a more descriptive name). I’ll drop a link to that here when it is up.

Great. I still think that Vagrant itself should offer this communicator for guests that don’t support all its features, especially in a multimachine environment, where such guest would bring the up process to a halt — network devices are just a use case. Hey, it might even worth mentioning in your Future of Vagrant talk in upcoming Hashiconf :wink:

Sorry that took so long, got a little side tracked. GitHub - soapy1/vagrant-none-communicator: Vagrant communicator plugin for not communicating with guests is a plugin. It can be installed with vagrant plugin install vagrant-none-communicator.
Again, I would like to emphasize that this isn’t really a recommended way of using Vagrant and will lead to some features being completely broken (eg. any feature that executes something on the guest machine). I tried to outline that a bit in the readme.
Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks @soapy1. We’ll test and give you feedback.

I tested the vagrant-none-communicator plugin with a virtual router and it works. Also the provisioning works with vagrant-host-shell — it just does scp a config file to flash, then a trigger.after reloads the vm. I checked the readme, but being agentless I think ansible should work with network modules like ansible.netcommon.cli_command. I’ll report back my findings, in case I change the provisioner.
Thanks again @soapy1!

1 Like