Dependent builds (Active Directory infrastructure)

I’ve done a fair bit of Googling and have come up short of examples of where dependent builds are configured in order to, for example, create a set of images that are configured to form a valid Active Directory infrastructure with a domain controller and one or two domain-joined workstations.

Is this something Packer could do? Meaning that it would wait with configuring until workstation A or B has joined the domain.

Also, tangential question: haven’t found anything to indicate as such, but would Packer be able to create snapshots in the context of Azure as well?

Packer is primarily there to create images. You can then deploy these via Terraform and configure the servers using the configuration management of your choice.
This is a combination of different software components, Packer does not do it by itself. :wink:

Regarding your second question, see

1 Like

Alright, thank you for the response! I figured as much in regards to creating dependent builds, but I had glossed over the part about the snapshots in the Azure builders section.