The MAC address provided for `base_mac` is invalid

Hi
I purchased vagrant VMware desktop, why do I run the startup command after downloading the official box: vagrant up error:

VMware Desktop Provider:

• The MAC address provided for base_mac is invalid.

You might get this error if a Vagrantfile sets config.vm.base_mac using an invalid form for the MAC address. The value for this setting should be of a form that can be matched by the following regex /^([0-9A-F]{2}:){5}[0-9A-F]{2}$/. For example, “00:D0:56:F2:B5:12” is valid, “00-D0-56-F2-B5” is invalid.

While you are undoubtedly right, vagrant package even with 2.2.9 produces a box with the internal Vagrantfile setting base_mac with digits only.

Even more stupid: fixing the base_mac with colons to be “valid” the vagrant-desktop provider halts at the network configuration and ends apparantly in a dead loop.

Removing the base_mac settings brings the box back to work (for the vmware-desktop provider, others I did not test).

So vagrant is inconsistent as it checks the configs against rules it does not follow itself.

And the vmware-desktop provider is !!"§ as it does not even survive a valid config.

Is that a good enough summary? I made a separate topic of the broken package command so the error stands out a bit.

Hi there,

This appears to be a combination of Vagrant forcing better configuration validations within plugins combined with an inconsistency on the vmx settings. I’ll be releasing a new version of the plugin today which resolves this error, and my apologies for the inconvenience it has caused.

I’d like to also take a moment to refer to the community guidelines when posting or replying to topics on discuss. I understand the frustration and, again, apologize for the delay and inconvenience that has resulted due to this issue. But please do take care to be kind and respectful others within this forum.