Data is not written to disk from custom plugin

I wrote a custom plugin and enabled it successfully. I can see it at the secrets list:

Path          Type         Accessor              Description
----          ----         --------              -----------
my/           myplugin    my_17369d75            My local plugin
cubbyhole/    cubbyhole    cubbyhole_10c1fbe7    per-token private secret storage
identity/     identity     identity_e4c40d5b     identity store
sys/          system       system_23e8ac04       system endpoints used for control, policy and debugging
transit/      transit      transit_ac536f20      n/a

I sent an HTTP POST request and received a response.
I tried to read the value with read command:

vault read my/id

When I’m trying to read the value I received an error:

No value found at my/id

Uh… it’s a custom plugin… the behaviour is entirely determined by code that you wrote.

Since you haven’t shown us that code, we have no idea what the correct response would be!

My code:

package backend

import (
	"github.com/hashicorp/vault/sdk/framework"
	"github.com/hashicorp/vault/sdk/logical"
)

func foo(b *backend) *framework.Path {
	return &framework.Path{
		Pattern:      "path/" + framework.GenericNameRegex("name") + "/my",
		HelpSynopsis: "Create and Sign a transaction object.",

ExistenceCheck: b.pathExistenceCheck,
		Callbacks: map[logical.Operation]framework.OperationFunc{
			logical.CreateOperation: b.boo,
		},
	}
}

The implementation of boo:

func (b *backend) boo(ctx context.Context, req *logical.Request, data *framework.FieldData) (*logical.Response, error) {

booObject, err := b.createboo()

return &logical.Response{
		Data: map[string]interface{}{
			"txid":                transaction.TxID,
			"source_address":      transaction.SourceAddress,
			"destination_address": transaction.DestinationAddress,
			"amount":              transaction.Amount,
			"unsignedtx":          transaction.UnsignedTx,
			"signedtx":            transaction.SignedTx,
		},
	}, nil
}

I will make my question clear: How can I write a data to the vault secrets when I’m writing custom plugin?

This regex clearly does not match the path in

and furthermore, you clearly haven’t implemented a ReadOperation in

so I’m not sure how you expect that read to return anything.

That’s not making it clear… I think you might be misunderstanding what a Vault secret is … it’s a piece of information managed by a Vault plugin… like the one you are writing. It’s not something that necessarily gets written as is. Vault has internal storage, which is used by plugins to store data that they need to track secrets… but that’s something the plugins do by calling other Vault APIs.

I think you might find it helpful to review the source code of the built in Vault K/V secrets plugin, which you can find at GitHub - hashicorp/vault-plugin-secrets-kv

This is the part I was missing and haven’t any documentation about it!

The paths I wrote in the question and the code snippet are mocks and not my real implementation as I cannot share them.

My question is more conceptual about what APIs I need to implement in order to communicate with the vault secrets engine.

Is there any reference where the read operation is implement at the kv API?

That’s like turning up at the garage and asking them to tell you how to fix your car, but refusing them access to see your car.

You should consider writing a fully functional, testable, sharable mock, and only adding in confidential content once you have it working.

There is no comprehensive documentation for Vault plugin development, so the best learning source is picking an existing plugin and examining how it works, coupled with personal experimentation. That’s how I learned.

You might choose to start with https://github.com/hashicorp/vault-plugin-secrets-kv/blob/main/passthrough.go which is the implementation of the KV v1 secrets engine, which is a lot simpler that the KV v2 secrets engine (which is most of the rest of the code in that repository).

Thank you for your answer, I will implement the read operation.

I’m suggesting that you’ll create a guide for developers who will help them easy going to the vault ecosystem.

It seems like there might be an issue with retrieving the value from your custom plugin in Vault. Double-check the path and accessor for your plugin in the secrets list. Ensure that the HTTP POST request successfully stored the Garage Openers value. If the problem persists, review your plugin configuration and the read command syntax to make sure everything aligns correctly. Troubleshooting these details should help resolve the error.

What is Garage openers?

Thanks for the advice on Vault plugin development! I’ll work on creating a functional mock and refer to the example you provided. It makes sense to focus on a simpler implementation like the KV v1 secrets engine to grasp the Garage Door fundamentals before tackling the more complex KV v2. Your insights on learning through experimentation and examining existing plugins are really helpful. Appreciate the guidance!

[/quote]