Follow up on: Confusion about dependencies and plan

I’m going to try to keep this short you can refer to Confusion about dependencies and terraform plan for more details about layout.
quick layout

• root
    • dev
      • instances
        • all.tf (actually multiple files)
  • global
    • iam_roles.tf
    • and_many_more_subscription_based.tf files

First i run: I run terraform import aws_iam_role.devfoo in the global module space.

In instances there are multiple files that contain aws_instance "foo" like blocks. I’ve been adding both implicit dependencies like iam_instance_profile = module.global.iam_role_dev and explicit dependencies such as

depends_on = [
    module.security_groups.sg_ping,
    module.security_groups.sg_local_ssh
  ]  

As soon as i run terraform plan i get a destroy and a create (grepped output) from an iam role change

# module.global.aws_iam_role.Deploy will be destroyed
# module.instances.module.global.aws_iam_role.Deploy will be created

The above are the same two configurations. Oh and i can modify terraform.tfstate and add a "module": "module.instances.module.global.aws_iam_role" The drop and create go away, but what if i want to make another file dependent on these

I’m still running in local state mode as I am converting existing infra and trying to test each step before i think of running apply.

Is there a reason that it needs to be nested inside of modules.instances.module.global.iam_aws_role? For aws_iam_policies, or aws_security_group I will be accessing them from multiple modules and it seems like i should be able to do something that could only reference the global module.

I would assume there is something in the configuration I can change so it doesn’t need to import from a nested module path.

Thanks,
Jeff