How do I get the envoy sidecar to connect to Consul over TLS?

Hi :wave:

I am trying to deploy Vault + Consul + Nomad with full ACL + TLS support. I’m pretty close to having everything working except for some reason my envoy sidecars don’t seem to be able to connect to Consul over TLS. I get the following errors in envoy logs:

[2022-12-01 01:10:40.112][1][warning][config] [./source/common/config/grpc_stream.h:201] DeltaAggregatedResources gRPC config stream to local_agent closed since 30s ago: 14, upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection termination

After a lot of bisecting in my configurations to find the source of the issue I got it down to the consul stanza in my nomad config. It works when I specify the plaintext port but not tls one.
This works:

consul {
  address      = "127.0.0.1:8500"
}

This doesn’t work:

consul {
  address      = "127.0.0.1:8501"
  # grpc_address = "127.0.0.1:8503" # I've tried with and without this line

ssl       = true
  ca_file   = "cert_dir/ca.pem"
  cert_file = "cert_dir/chain.pem"
  key_file  = "cert_dir/key.pem"
}

(FYI: I’ve disabled all ACLs in the debugging process and have yet to re-enable them).

Looking up the error online I found this issue which seems to indicate that the envoy bootstrap config should include a tls_context section to connect over TLS, which I don’t get:

"static_resources": {
    "clusters": [
      {
        "name": "local_agent",
        "ignore_health_on_host_removal": false,
        "connect_timeout": "1s",
        "type": "STATIC",
        "http2_protocol_options": {},
        "loadAssignment": {
          "clusterName": "local_agent",
          "endpoints": [
            {
              "lbEndpoints": [
                {
                  "endpoint": {
                    "address": {
                      "pipe": {
                        "path": "alloc/tmp/consul_grpc.sock"
                      }
                    }
                  }
                }
              ]
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    ]
  },

Looking up the relevant code in Consul, it looks like this section is only generated when the grpc address starts with “https://” , which nomad never does.

So, unless I missed something, it looks like Nomad doesn’t support the connect sidecar connecting over TLS to Consul. Is that intentional / a known limitation or a missing feature? Some feedback would be very valuable! :slight_smile: I can share my complete consul/nomad configs too it that helps.
Hope I haven’t missed something in the docs!

PS: this seems like a similar issue to Connect with Envoy: gRPC over HTTPS in a new cluster only works when CONSUL_HTTP_SSL is true · Issue #7473 · hashicorp/consul · GitHub but it looks like the implementation has changed since then.