How to output an artifact in a batch job with the exec driver?

I’m implementing a batch job that will convert something from 1 format to another. To this end, logically I need an input directory and an output directory for the task. I am specifying these through some parameterized metadata:

job "foo" {
	parameterized {
		meta_required [
			"DIR_SOURCE", # Somewhere on the host machine - will be on the NFS mount every node in the cluster has mounted
			"DIR_DEST" # Somewhere else on the host machine - will be on the NFS mount every node in the cluster has mounted
		]
		meta_optional [
			"SOME_OTHER_OPTION"
		]
	}

# ......
}

To import the input directory, I understand that I can use the artifact stanza, and that this is required because an exec task’s access to the host system is limited. I currently have this in my config file:

# .......
task "bar" {
	driver = "exec"
	config {
		command = "...."
		args = [ ".....", "...." ]
	}

artifact {
		source = "/mnt/nfs_shared/somedata"
		destination = "local/"
	}
	artifact {
		source = "/mnt/nfs_shared/moredata"
		destination = "local/"
	}

resources {
		cpu = 1500 # MHz
		memory = 256 # MiB
	}
}
# ......

This leaves me with the output directory. My conversion program converts the input directory and generates a new output directory. I want the output directory to be moved to a location given by a parameterized metadata value (DIR_DEST) on the host once the batch job completes. This is probably going to be set to a location on my shared NFS mount that all the nodes in my Raspberry Pi cluster have mounted.

How can I tell Nomad about the output directory, and get it to move it to a given location once the batch job exits?

1 Like

Ah, you’re diving into one of the cool features of Nomad, but also hitting a common snag! The way Nomad handles file I/O and isolation between the task environment and the host can be a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty powerful.

For your use case, where you want to output data to a specific directory on the host (like an NFS mount in your Raspberry Pi cluster), you’ll need to work around Nomad’s sandboxing. Nomad’s exec driver, by default, restricts access to the host filesystem to prevent tasks from affecting the host system or each other. However, you can use a combination of template and artifact stanzas along with a bit of scripting to achieve your goal.

Tasks in the same group can all access the alloc/ directory.