How to resolve dependencies between the same resource class?

I am familiar with how to explicitly create dependencies between different modules and resources, but have not been able to think of a way of doing so in this scenario, where it is the same module using the same resource. I am using Terraform to manage and deploy some resources to my Snowflake account. I am currently adding in support for Tasks, and this is where I hitting a wall. The snowflake_task resource in the Snowflake terraform provider allows me to specify the “after” parameter. When specified, it will create the Task in Snowflake and map it to its “parent” task–basic DAG generation. The problem I am running into is in my current set up, every time I try creative ways of telling Terraform that TEST_TASK_TWO is dependent on TEST_TASK, I get a cycle error. Snowflake basically requires that the Tasks get created in the order in which the occur in the DAG, so if my DAG is: Step 1 > Task 1 > Step 2 > Task 2 > Step 3 > Task 3 | Task 4, Terraform needs to ensure that Task 1 is created first, then Task 2, and then Tasks 3 and 4 can be created at the same time, assuming Task 2 has been created.

I know I can solve this problem if I wasn’t using modules, if I just had a resource per task, and set the dependencies between each resource appropriately. I am just trying to keep the development experience consistent for the users of this codebase, and doing so would be a different pattern than how we have established everywhere else.

My hope is that I am overthinking this and not seeing the solution…any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks! Detailed setup below.

metadata .yaml file:

task:
  - name: TEST_TASK_TWO
    comment: ""
    sql_statement: SELECT 1;
    database: DLH_CORE
    schema: DBO
    warehouse: DLH_PIPELINE
    run_after_task_names: 
      - DLH_CORE.DBO.TEST_TASK
    environment:
      qas:
        task_enabled: false
      prd:
        schedule: ""
  - name: TEST_TASK
    comment: ""
    sql_statement: SELECT 1;
    database: DLH_CORE
    schema: DBO
    warehouse: DLH_PIPELINE
    environment:
      qas:
        schedule: USING CRON 0 12 * * 2 UTC
      prd:
        schedule: ""

task.tf file:

locals {

# list all conf files, parse all master files
    master-task-files = [
        for files in fileset(path.cwd, "../projects/*/tasks.yaml") : "${path.module}/${files}"
    ]

# read the json contents 
    task-config = [
        for f in local.master-task-files : yamldecode(file("${f}"))
    ]

# level 1 flatten, combine all database configs into one list
    flatten_task_config = flatten(
    [
        for task in local.task-config : task.task
    ]
    )

# level 0 flatten, combine all database configs into one map
    task_map = { for k, v in local.flatten_task_config : upper("${v.database}.${v.schema}.${v.name}") =>
    {
      name          = v.name
      comment       = try(v.comment, null)
      warehouse     = try(v["environment"]["${var.ENV}"]["warehouse"], v.warehouse)
      database      = try(v["environment"]["${var.ENV}"]["database"], v.database)
      schema        = try(v["environment"]["${var.ENV}"]["schema"], v.schema)
      sql_statement = try(v["environment"]["${var.ENV}"]["sql_statement"], v.sql_statement)
      schedule      = try(v["environment"]["${var.ENV}"]["schedule"], null)
      enabled       = try(v["environment"]["${var.ENV}"]["task_enabled"], v.enabled)
      after         = try(v["run_after_task_names"], null)
    }
  }
}

module "tasks" {
  source   = "C:\\REPO\\terraform.blueprint.snowflake\\terraform\\Task"
  task_map = local.task_map
}

…which sources the basic resource:

resource "snowflake_task" "task" {
  for_each = var.task_map
  comment  = each.value.comment
  database      = upper(each.value.database)
  schema        = upper(each.value.schema)
  name          = upper(each.value.name)
  sql_statement = each.value.sql_statement
  warehouse = try(upper(each.value.warehouse), null)
  schedule = try(each.value.schedule, null)
  enabled  = try(each.value.enabled, false)
  after                = try([for i in each.value.after: upper(i)], null)
  error_integration    = try(each.value.error_integration, null)
  user_task_timeout_ms = try(each.value.user_task_timeout_ms, 3600000)
  when                 = try(each.value.when, null)
  session_parameters   = merge(try(each.value.session_parameters, {}), {})
}

Terraform only implements dependencies between blocks, and not between members of a block’s for_each expansion.

A consequence of this, is that the only reasonable way to handle this, is to write out a separate resource "snowflake_task" block for each task.

That also means you need to define the tasks directly in Terraform syntax, not YAML.

I appreciate this is probably not the answer you wanted… don’t shoot the messenger :slight_smile:

I was thinking this would be the case. Thank you for the response!