Looking for advice or tips for using Kong Gateway as the load balancer

is anybody using Kong Gateway as the load balancer in your Nomad setup? I am looking for any advice or tips that you may have for using Kong in your setup.

I am currently researching load balancer options and am leaning towards Kong (gateway) right now because of my familiarity with nginx - and also because of the ability to dynamically add new services to Kong (AND also because of the (hopefully useful) promise of being able to custom-configure things if necessary because of the OpenResty base).

I’m not keen on using pure nginx right now because the way to use standard nginx as the LB in a Nomad setup is to use consul template and reloading nginx on any changes / updates… which will kill keep-alive connections. Technically not an issue… but I would just prefer an option which doesn’t involve killing connections if possible.

Technically not an issue… but I would just prefer an option which doesn’t involve killing connections if possible.

Just want to mention that Traefik has a built-in Nomad provider, which enables automatic syncing with Nomad’s service discovery.

2 Likes

thanks. I’ll keep that in mind for if I decide not to use Kong Gateway. For the moment, KG is still my preferred option.