For some reason I don’t understand I am getting the following error message when a client Consul agent attempts to join a secondary datacenter:
agent: AutoEncrypt failed: rpcinsecure error making call: rpcinsecure error making call: internal error: CA root is nil
The equivalent Consul configuration works in the primary datacenter.
Is this a problem with my configuration, or a limitation/bug of Consul?
- Consul community edition version 1.6.1
- Two Consul datacenters, one Consul domain
- Using cloud auto-join (AWS).
- Secondary datacenter Consul servers join the cluster successfully with healthy status
- Secondary datacenter Consul servers have retry_join configured for secondary datacenter and retry_join_wan configured for primary datacenter
- Failing client agent has retry_join configured for secondary datacenter (and no retry_join_wan)
- Failing client agent is in the same subnet as the secondary datacenter Consul servers, with the same security groups applied
- Gossip encryption enabled
- TLS enabled/enforced
- CA cert installed and configured on all hosts
- ACL enabled/enforced
- ACL persistence/replication enabled
Here are the exact consul.hcl configuration files I am using on the various nodes: