Question about supported Consul-versions

With the release of Consul 1.11.0, I have a question about which Consul-versions are still supported / maintained and which are not. Similar questions have been asked here (either related to Consul or related to other Hashicorp products) but I could not find any answer.

Looking at Support Period and End-of-Life (EOL) Policy – HashiCorp Help Center I see that:

1. software is supported for up to two years. That should include Consul 1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x and 1.11.x
  2. code-fixes and hot-fixes are provided for up to two releases from the most current major release. That should include Consul 1.9.x, 1.10.x and 1.11.x

My question is the following; with the release of Consul 1.11.0 has Consul 1.8.x effectively reached an unmaintained state or will that not happen until after two years of the release of Consul 1.8?

Btw, I’m not asking as an Enterprise user but as a user of the free version of Consul.

With the GA release of Consul 1.11, Consul 1.8.x will now be unmaintained.

One final 1.8.x release was made on 12/13/2021 to address a security issue with the Go tool chain used to build Consul as we didn’t want to leave our users on that version vulnerable from the very first day it would become unmaintained.

1 Like