Sidecar client-side resolution

Hi all!!
i follow this guide to start consul server-client paradigm application with sidecar. But seems that in client startup i need to explicitly configure the sidecar proxy (connect/envoy) to be able to enjoiy the features of the sidecar architecture.
I have also built a demo throught sprigboot server-client paradigm application, running sidecar as described, but when i request to consul to solve the server endpoint it return still resolve it with real service endpoint/port.
There is a way to have from consule transparently resolved the proxy address/port (9191) in place of real address/port(8080)?

Thanks all for help!!! <3

Hi @governator1084,

Welcome to the Forum!

I think what you are looking for is the transparent proxy feature in Consul which at this stage is available for Beta testing. You can read more about it from the below links:

1 Like

Thanks!!! Have you a little prevision on when it could be released as stable version?
Is there a road map?

i’m traing also teh beta version using docker to run consul (becouse i use macos ad it is not supported to use transparent proxy), but this guide uses a docker images with a iptables version not compatible with the transparent proxy too! XD

/ # consul connect redirect-traffic -proxy-uid client -proxy-inbound-port 21000
==> Error setting up traffic redirection rules: failed to run command: /sbin/iptables -t nat -N CONSUL_PROXY_INBOUND, err: exit status 3, output: iptables v1.8.4 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `nat': Permission denied (you must be root)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded

I think for best results you should try this on Kubernetes (minikube should be sufficient). I don’t know when the GA of 1.10 will be released.

Hi @governator1084, we are targeting mid to late June for the GA release of 1.10 and transparent proxy.

1 Like