Terminating gateway capabilities in AWS

Hi forum members!

I was hoping that someone could answer a question that I have not been able to find answers to online: can AWS services such as S3 buckets, lambdas and others be added as linked services in Consul terminating gateways? And if so, is this a valid use-case for TeGWs? I am looking at such a setup and it doesn’t quite make sense to me, specifically in terms of S3.

The setup in question is a nomad job connecting to an external service linked to the Consul terminating gateway (currently just RDS, which works fine).

Thanks very much!

Emma

Hi @suaswe,

This is a valid use case for terminating gateways. In addition to S3 and other external services, Consul supports registering and invoking Lambda functions from the mesh, and routing that traffic through terminating gateways.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? What challenges are you seeing with making S3 available through the TGW?

Hi there, and thanks for your reply!

I have to admit I haven’t got to testing it yet, so perhaps it will make more sense when I do! I was thinking of, how would you add a specific bucket as a linked service? I have only done this with RDS so far, and I can’t in my head map that setup onto S3. You wouldn’t happen to have a terraform example of this, would you? :slight_smile:

I will be back and looking at this again on Tuesday.

Thanks very much!

Emma