Terraform init issues

Hi

I am trying to execute “terraform init” in a new workspace and I am getting the error below:

$ terraform109 init
Initializing modules...

Initializing the backend...

Initializing provider plugins...
- terraform.io/builtin/terraform is built in to Terraform
- Finding hashicorp/azurerm versions matching "2.94.0"...
╷
│ Error: Failed to query available provider packages
│ 
│ Could not retrieve the list of available versions for provider hashicorp/azurerm: could not connect to registry.terraform.io: Failed  
│ to request discovery document: Get "https://registry.terraform.io/.well-known/terraform.json": net/http: request canceled while       
│ waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)

How is the configuration:

I am working with different terraform versions (based on the project), so, for this project I am using terraform 1.0.9, that is why I executed “terraform109 init”

I validated the version as below:

$ terraform109 version
Terraform v1.0.9
on windows_amd64

The backend is configured as below:

terraform {

required_version = "1.0.9" 

backend "remote" {

hostname     = "correct hostname"

organization = "Organization name"

workspaces {

name = "Correct namespace"

}

}

}

The provider is configured as below:

terraform {

required_providers {

azurerm = {

source  = "hashicorp/azurerm"

version = "2.94.0"

}

}

}

provider "azurerm" {

features {}

}

The azurerm plugin is on the path:

PS C:\Users\User\OneDrive\Documents\Workspace\tf\folder\.terraform\plugins\windows_amd64> dir

Directory:C:\Users\User\OneDrive\Documents\Workspace\tf\folder\.terraform\plugins\windows_amd64>

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                -------------         ------ ----
-a---l        1/28/2022   8:37 AM      179714352 terraform-provider-azurerm_v2.94.0_x5.exe

When I execute the command below, I get a different path:

$ terraform109 init -plugin-dir=/.terraform/plugins/windows_amd64/terraform-provider-azurerm_v2.94.0_x5.exe
Initializing modules...

Initializing the backend...

Initializing provider plugins...
- terraform.io/builtin/terraform is built in to Terraform
- Finding hashicorp/azurerm versions matching "2.94.0"...
╷
│ Error: Failed to query available provider packages
│
│ Could not retrieve the list of available versions for provider hashicorp/azurerm: provider
│ registry.terraform.io/hashicorp/azurerm was not found in any of the search locations
│
│   - C:/Program Files/Git/.terraform/plugins/windows_amd64/terraform-provider-azurerm_v2.94.0_x5.exe

I also copied the plugin in that directory specified above, however, does not work.

I already tried to create the plugin_path defining this path and did not work

C:\Users\User\OneDrive\Documents\Workspace\tf\folder\.terraform\plugins\windows_amd64>

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

Hi @laelijunior,

The path where you’ve installed the plugin locally doesn’t seem to match the required directory layout for Terraform to find it. Terraform expects one of the structures documented for the filesystem_mirror installation method.

Although you are using the command line option to override the search location, Terraform treats that the same way as if you had configured a filesystem mirror in your CLI Configuration, and so the expected directory layout is the same

The link you send is really good, I tried a few things it suggests, however, did not work yet.
I realized that TFE is missing some variables, I am doublechecking that.
Thank you for your time.