Terraform v0.14.2 released

Hi all,

Today we’ve released the first patch release for the v0.14 series, which includes fixes for some issues reported for the initial v0.14.0 release.

For more information, see the release changelog.

You can download the release from the Download page, as usual.

3 Likes

Hi again!

There were unfortunately some regressions for particular combinations of settings in Terraform Cloud workspaces in the v0.14.1 release, so we’ve released a follow-up v0.14.2 that fixes those. More details in the v0.14.2 changelog.

For anyone not using Terraform Cloud there is no practical difference between v0.14.1 and v0.14.2, so if you already upgraded to v0.14.1 and aren’t using Terraform Cloud then you can stay on that release for now. If you’ve not yet upgraded to v0.14.1 then we’d suggest skipping directly from v0.14.0 to v0.14.2.

1 Like

Ever since upgrading to 0.14.2 (from 0.12.x) the mysql provider can’t be found - has anyone else seen this or figured out a work-around? Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, I apologize in advance.

$terraform init

Initializing the backend...

Initializing provider plugins...
- Finding latest version of hashicorp/mysql...
- Finding latest version of hashicorp/aws...
- Installing hashicorp/aws v3.20.0...
- Installed hashicorp/aws v3.20.0 (signed by HashiCorp)

Error: Failed to query available provider packages

Could not retrieve the list of available versions for provider
hashicorp/mysql: provider registry registry.terraform.io does not have a
provider named registry.terraform.io/hashicorp/mysql

To upgrade from 0.12 to 0.14, you must first upgrade to 0.13. The provider installation process changed significantly in Terraform 0.13, and there are a few upgrade steps required. This document should help you get through the upgrade process.

Hello, I am getting the same issue.

Initializing modules…

Initializing the backend…

Initializing provider plugins…

• Finding latest version of hashicorp/mysql…
  • Reusing previous version of hashicorp/aws from the dependency lock file
  • Installing hashicorp/aws v3.20.0…
  • Installed hashicorp/aws v3.20.0 (signed by HashiCorp)

Error: Failed to query available provider packages

Could not retrieve the list of available versions for provider
hashicorp/mysql: provider registry registry.terraform.io does not have a
provider named registry.terraform.io/hashicorp/mysql

Please help.

This also sounds like you’re upgrading from 0.12 to 0.14. Please follow the 0.13 upgrade process to fix this missing provider issue.

Hello, I have used 0.13 to 0.14. I haven’t used this module before.

Nothing in the provider’s doc https://www.terraform.io/docs/providers/mysql/index.html indicates this provider isn’t yet available.

Only the front page Providers - Configuration Language | Terraform | HashiCorp Developer mentions it:

The following providers will be published on the Terraform Registry soon, but aren’t quite ready. Until they’re published, their documentation is available at the links below:

• MySQL

This is extremely counter-intuitive. I’ve been trying to use this provider without a luck and wondering what the heck changed in the most recent versions of Terraform.

Providers that are documented but not yet available should display a clear warning box on the top of each page that this is a case!

All of the providers listed as “not published in the Terraform Registry” are still available for installation, it’s just that they do not yet have their documentation pages set up in the registry yet and so terraform.io is still hosting those docs until the full migration to the registry is complete.

The v0.13 upgrade instructions should detect that the mysql provider is available as terraform-providers/mysql and help you to add that requirement to your configuration. If you’d rather do that step manually then you can add the requirement declaration like this, which is essentially what the upgrade tool would do:

terraform {
  required_providers {
    mysql = {
      source = "terraform-providers/mysql"
    }
  }
}

With that in place I was able to install the MySQL provider from v0.13 onwards. Here’s my output from Terraform v0.15.1:

$ terraform init

Initializing the backend...

Initializing provider plugins...
- Finding latest version of terraform-providers/mysql...
- Installing terraform-providers/mysql v1.9.0...
- Installed terraform-providers/mysql v1.9.0 (signed by HashiCorp)

Terraform has created a lock file .terraform.lock.hcl to record the provider
selections it made above. Include this file in your version control repository
so that Terraform can guarantee to make the same selections by default when
you run "terraform init" in the future.

Terraform has been successfully initialized!

You may now begin working with Terraform. Try running "terraform plan" to see
any changes that are required for your infrastructure. All Terraform commands
should now work.

If you ever set or change modules or backend configuration for Terraform,
rerun this command to reinitialize your working directory. If you forget, other
commands will detect it and remind you to do so if necessary.

Since the v0.14.2 release was quite some time ago, if you run into trouble getting this provider running in a later version of Terraform I’d encourage starting a new topic in the forum so we can discuss in more detail there and it’s less likely to get lost in an old release announcement topic.