Trying to run a bash script using user_data on an Ubuntu 18.04 server deployed on aws using terraform

Hey guys! I have successfully deployed an EC2 instance using terraform and now working on installing a Bookstacks wiki onto the server. The purpose is to have bookstacks automatically installed when the instance has been deployed. I am using the script that was provided by Bookstacks and have manually tested the script, it works.
Here is the script in the user_data section that i want to run automatically.

resource "aws_instance" "web-server-instance" {
  ami = "ami-0e472ba40eb589f49"
  instance_type ="t2.micro"
  availability_zone = "us-east-1a"
  key_name = "Main-key"

network_interface {

device_index = 0
 network_interface_id =  aws_network_interface.web-server-nic.id

}
user_data= <<-EOF

#!/bin/bash

# Ensure you have read the above information about what this script does before executing these commands.

sudo apt install wget

# Download the script

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/BookStackApp/devops/main/scripts/installation-ubuntu-18.04.sh

# Make it executable

chmod a+x installation-ubuntu-18.04.sh

# Run the script with admin permissions

sudo ./installation-ubuntu-18.04.sh  

EOF

tags ={

Name ="bookstacks_terraform"

}
}

Unfortunately, This is not working and I am not sure how to fix this. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks:)

1 Like

Were there any error messages? (e.g., in /var/log/cloud-init-output.log on the created instance)

I recommend reading through their official guide though:

There are some caveats you should check. You generally don’t need to use sudo in that context, for instance.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back! I checked the logs and found that the script was running okay however, I was not sending the domain argument that the script required.

1 Like