VSCode: rename refactoring

Hi :wave: :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve moved from JetBrains Goland to VSCode few weeks ago due to better support of clouds (every provider has an own, official VSCode extension) and devcontainers. When I started working with Terraform modules I noticed that “rename” option is not implemented :scream: That makes refactoring a real pain :slightly_frowning_face:

Do you plan to improve refactoring of Terraform modules with VSCode maybe? I think it’s one of the most important features within our IDEs :grimacing:

1 Like

Hi @damlys,

Do you plan to improve refactoring of Terraform modules with VSCode maybe?

We track that feature under Rename a symbol within a module · Issue #699 · hashicorp/vscode-terraform · GitHub but it’s not currently on the near-term roadmap.

Feel free to upvote that issue to help us prioritise it or leave a comment if it doesn’t yet capture the use case you have in mind.

every provider has an own, official VSCode extension

I am not sure what do you mean by this, but our official extension should support all providers and you should not need to install any additional extension just because you use a particular provider.

The latest versions of (~200) official & partner ones are supported basically out-of-the-box and the other ones are supported as long as you run terraform init locally, such that the extension can obtain the schema from the installed plugin(s). Let us know if that doesn’t work.

Thank you. I subscribed this issue :+1:

every provider has an own, official VSCode extension

Maybe I was not clear, sorry :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not about “Terraform providers”. It’s about “clouds and IDEs” (AWS has own VSCode extension, GCP own etc.). They are helpful sometime. Especially for our developers.