Where Vagrant Stores the Virtual Disk?

I use Debian (SID) and look for vagrant boxes that support Qemu/KVM as a provider. When I start the VM with vagrant up, where is its virtual disk? If I remove the folder where my Vagrantfile was without first running vagrant halt or vagrant destroy, how would I go about taking down the instance running on Qemu and removing the virtual disk?

When you use Vagrant with QEMU/KVM (often managed through the libvirt plugin for Vagrant), the virtual disks of your Vagrant environments are typically stored within the /var/lib/libvirt/images/ directory on your Debian system. This directory is the default storage pool for libvirt and is used to store the disk images of virtual machines managed by libvirt, including those initiated by Vagrant.

If you inadvertently remove the folder containing your Vagrantfile without halting or destroying the Vagrant environment (vagrant halt or vagrant destroy), the virtual machine instance may still be running or left in a suspended state, and the disk images will remain in the libvirt images directory.

To manage or remove the orphaned instance, you can use virsh, a command-line tool for managing virtual machines provided by the libvirt library. Here are the steps you might follow:

1. List All Active VMs: First, check the list of all active VMs to identify the VM instance you want to manage.

bashCopy code

virsh list --all
  1. Shutdown the VM: If the VM is still running, you should shut it down gracefully. Replace VM_NAME with the actual name of your VM as listed by the virsh list command.

bashCopy code

virsh shutdown VM_NAME
  1. Remove the VM: After the VM has been shut down, you can undefine it, which removes the VM definition from libvirt but doesn’t delete the virtual disk.

bashCopy code

virsh undefine VM_NAME
  1. Delete the Virtual Disk: Finally, you can manually remove the virtual disk file from the /var/lib/libvirt/images/ directory. Be very careful with this step to ensure you’re deleting the correct file, as this action is irreversible.

bashCopy code

sudo rm /var/lib/libvirt/images/YOUR_VM_DISK_IMAGE

Please replace YOUR_VM_DISK_IMAGE with the actual disk image file of your VM, which you can identify by the VM name or by inspecting the contents of /var/lib/libvirt/images/.

These steps should help you manage and clean up any orphaned Vagrant VM instances on your QEMU/KVM setup. Remember to use these commands cautiously, especially when deleting files, to avoid unintentional data loss.