Autofs and volume_mount

Hi,

I’m hoping to use AutoFS to manage the mounts in /smb. On the host it works fine, but I’m having an issue from inside a running container.

In my client config, I have:

"host_volume": {
      "autofs_smb": {
        "path": "/smb",
        "read_only": false
      }

In my group config I have:

volume "autofs_smb" {
      type      = "host"
      read_only = false
      source    = "autofs_smb"
    }

and in the task I have:

volume_mount {
        volume      = "autofs_smb"
        destination = "/smb"
      }

I’m using the docker driver.

The symptoms are:

1. ls /smb/servername in the container, it mounts and I can see the share folders.
  2. ls /smb/servername/sharename in the container returns “No such file or directory”.
  3. ls /smb/servername/sharename on the host returns files and folders
  4. Restart the Nomad task and ls /smb/servername/sharename in the container returns files and folders

It looks like AutoFS lazy-mounts the shares, and the container isn’t picking up that change. i.e. ls /smb/servername returns a list of local files that autofs just created. ls /smb/servername/sharename then mounts that share to that location, and that change isn’t “seen” by the container.

I’ve seen references to switching to Docker bind mounts with rshared - but if I can, I’d like to stick to the Nomad volumes for the increased security they give me.

Anyone else come across this? any hints?

Many thanks,

Geoff

EDIT: I gave up (this post was at the end of several hours of trying) and switched to bind mounts in the Job->Group->task->config section:

mount {
          type = "bind"
          target = "/net"
          source = "/net"
          readonly = false
          bind_options {
            propagation = "rshared"
          }
        }

and set driver.docker.volumes.enabled to true on the clients.

I would have preferred to keep the Nomad volumes, as they provide better control. But this works, and I’m able to browse the autofs mounts with no issues.

Me replying to myself because I had a weird situation that I wanted to share, in case it helps someone else.

If I restarted autofs, the containers would lose the connections and would not re-establish them.

Essentially, with the bind mounts set for the autofs root folders, when autofs restarted, it recreated those locations, breaking the link.

The fix is easy and obvious - bind mount one level higher.

So I created a /network folder, configured autofs to mount inside that folder, and bind-mounted /network instead. As a bonus, I have one, not two, mounts in the config now - and it survives a restart of autofs :slight_smile: