Installing Vagrant 2.3.4 on POP_OS 22.04 Failed

I reinstalled my OS and wanted to install vagrant again. I go to the installation page and try to download the zip file and move it to the /usr/local/bin directory like I did in the past.

I selected the binary download for X86_64 and instead of finding a zip file it was an rpm file:
vagrant-2.3.4-1.x86_64.rpm

Since I couldn’t find the zip file, I installed vagrant using the package manager option.

The running vagrant failed with the error in the virtual box log:
aRC=VBOX_E_VM_ERROR (0x80bb0003) aIID={4680b2de-8690-11e9-b83d-5719e53cf1de} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}

I could not find any help on the internet for this issue, most of the results for this search was for Windows machines.

I went back to the vagrant web site and stumbled on the directories for the downloads and in the directory was a zip file.

I downloaded the zip file, and put it in /usr/local/bin file. This worked. Why the using the package manager version failed I don’t understand.

POP_OS is a linux os based from Ubuntu which itself was based off of Debian. Debian uses apt and dpkg to install software. Its packages should be packed as .deb

.rpm is a package format more commonly found in Red Hat based linux distros (Centos, Fedora, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux). Your issue may have simply been an incompatible package format for your POP_OS. It does seem however, that you managed to find exactly what you were looking for afterwards to install Vagrant on your chosen machine.

I do understand POP_OS is a version of Ubuntu and uses .deb. In the past, for binary downloads, I would select Ubuntu, Centos, etc… and the right binary would be selected.
Now, selecting the OS only gets you the package manager commands for the OS.

I am just surprised that the only binary download for Linux is the RPM version when the site has the others and there is no pointer to were you can download it. I stumbled on the .deb binary. Many users probably won’t understand how to stumble upon what they want and will waste time.

Why not have another box on the page that says other binaries?

1 Like

Oh geeze. Yep. I see your point. Visiting [ The vagrant download page ], I see the latest version for linux (v2.3.4) under ‘Binary download for Linux’ > X86_64 being packaged as an RPM. And while it seemed context dependent in earlier versions (v2.2.19) That’s not quite the same case here.

I suppose I could see if I can reproduce your issue a vm once the holidays wrap up. It’s more or less a generic x86_64 desktop running your Pop!_Os ? Also, is there anything special about your OS? I was thinking of just running the LTS v22.04 in a vm that’s 32g storage, 4g ram.

And just so we are on the same page… this issue you’re posting about is installing vagrant through apt using the tutorial ’ Package manager for Linux’, or is it about running an environment with Vagrant Up after the install?

debian has a Vagrant wiki
https://wiki.debian.org/Vagrant

wget -O- https://apt.releases.hashicorp.com/gpg | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/hashicorp-archive-keyring.gpg 

echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/hashicorp-archive-keyring.gpg] https://apt.releases.hashicorp.com $(lsb_release -cs) main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hashicorp.list $ sudo apt update && sudo apt install vagrant