We are looking at deploying an agent connection to a current consul datacenter where the agent will not have a connection to the other agents. Will this be an issue?
- Consul Servers
- Consul Agents that are able to talk to each other and the servers
DC1 Extended -
- Connects to existing Consul Servers
- No connectivity to existing Consul Agents
Yes, it will - agents are expected to have full mesh connectivity to each other, as they all gossip with each other as a means of distributed health checks.
There is a network segments feature in Consul Enterprise but I have never used it so don’t have any experience to share.
Thanks @maxb for the response.
Thats a bit unfortunate. So would it be better to create a new DC?
DC1 + Agents
DC1a + Agents
DC1 <-> DC1a communications
DC1 Agents do not need to talk to DC1a Agents.
That look correct?
That looks like a reasonable approach.
You will need to bear in mind that:
- A collection of Consul DCs needs one of them statically configured as primary
- The service catalog is specific to each DC - you need to use queries to potentially resolve services across DCs
- The KV store is specific to each DC
This information was very useful and thank you for your help.