Nomad job service to install/uninstall an application

Dear nomad community,

I am learning nomad and wanted to ask about a particular use case and see if this would be a “good” nomad use:

job "enroot-deliver" {
  datacenters = ["default"]
  type        = "service"

group "enroot" {

# Each task should be scheduled on a different node.
    constraint {
      operator = "distinct_hosts"
      value    = "true"
    }

restart {
      mode     = "fail"
      attempts = 0
    }

reschedule {
      attempts = "0"
    }

task "enroot-deliver" {
      lifecycle {
        hook    = "prestart"
        sidecar = false
      }
      driver = "raw_exec"
      user   = "root"
      config {
        command = "bash"
        args    = ["-c", "zypper install --no-confirm --no-recommends myapp"]
      }
    }

task "enroot-delivered" {
      driver = "exec"
      # runs as nobody
      config {
        command = "sleep"
        args    = ["inf"]
      }
    }

task "enroot-remove" {
      lifecycle {
        hook    = "poststop"
        sidecar = false
      }
      driver = "raw_exec"
      user   = "root"
      config {
        command = "bash"
        args    = ["-c", "zypper remove --no-confirm myapp"]
      }
    }
  }
}

The whole point is to use the lifecycle to install/uninstall the application when the job starts/finishes

To me, this would be a very nice use case but on the other hand, I feel this is against Nomad’s original design.

So my question is.
Would this be a valid use case for nomad service jobs?
if not then, how would you recommend doing this use case?

thank you very much

Hi @masuberu although Nomad doesn’t prescribe a particular usage pattern, I can make some observations about this one.

Having a task install / uninstall a package on setup/teardown via the system package manager is questionable. What if the package was meant to be installed for some other reason than just this service using it? I see you have host uniqueness constraint, but is that only necessary to avoid conflicting over managing the system package manager? These lifecycle hooks require raw_exec and running as root, neither of which are ideal especially in a production environment.

I think it is much more common to use the artifact stanza to have tasks download such packages automatically, into the sandbox Nomad creates for each task. The setup/teardown are then handled automatically, you don’t risk conflicts with the system package manager, and you don’t need lifiecycle tasks running as root with raw_exec.

Of course you’d need to host the application yourself to be downloadable as an artifact, such as with an internal file server.

Hi Seth,

thank you for your response, how would you recommend installing the rpms then? the reason I ask is because zypper should still require root privileges even if using the Isolated Fork/Exec Driver?