Not able to reach to a consul mesh from Kubernetes nginx ingress

I receive the user requests from our applications users to my ingress via the AWS Load Balancer. However I am having difficulty in sending this request to Consul Mesh (version 0.32.0).

This is my request flow

Browser → AWS LB → nginx-ingress → service → Pod (with connect-inject)

When my service is not under Consul Mesh, I am able to reach the service.

But the moment the deployment for the service is under Consul Mesh (via connect-inject), the service is unreachable (502 error) via the nginx-ingress (though I am still able to access the service through port forwarding to my local system).

If I remove this service from Consul mesh by removing the connect-inject annotations, I am able to reach the service, but then I am not able to reach the other services which are under Consul Mesh.

Service A (Not under Consul Mesh) --> Service B (Under Consul Mesh) 

Above sequence is not working either. Though I am able to communicate between services inside the mesh, but not from a Kubernetes service which is outside the mesh.

What is wrong with my configuration?

Hi @parag!

We’ve just published some high level guidance on this configuration : Ingress Controller Integrations | Consul by HashiCorp

If you’ve already followed this, could you post a little bit more about your configuration such as the annotations you applied to the nginx deployment as well as confirmation that the ingress controller comes online correctly as well?

Cheers

Hi @kschoche
I followed the documentation you referred to.

I have added the following annotations to the nginx-ingress-controller deployment

spec
  template:
    metadata:
       annotations:
         consul.hashicorp.com/connect-inject: "true"
         consul.hashicorp.com/transparent-proxy: "true"
         consul.hashicorp.com/transparent-proxy-exclude-inbound-ports: 8000,80,443,9000,8443
         consul.hashicorp.com/transparent-proxy-exclude-outbound-cidrs: 10.64.0.1/32

After applying this annotations, the nginx-ingress-controller is not coming up. It remains stuck in the init stage. I have seen the documentation talking about this problem, and I think my transparent-proxy-exclude-inbound-ports, and transparent-proxy-exclude-outbound-cidrs are correct too.

On seeing the log of the container consul-connect-inject-init, I see the error

[ERROR] Timed out waiting for service registration: error=“unable to find registered connect-proxy service”

How do I debug as to what is wrong?

Hello @kschoche
I deleted the consul setup and did a fresh setup from beginning. This time I was able to start the ingress controller without any problem. My requests are indeed reaching the intended pods. However path for every request is coming as ‘/’, irrespective of the path in the original request. On enabling the http logging for envoy-sidecar container, I see the path in the envoy sidecar too is ‘/’.

Here are some of the configs I am using
Consul version: 0.32.0

#ServiceDefault
apiVersion: consul.hashicorp.com/v1alpha1
kind: ServiceDefaults
metadata:
  name: webproxy
spec:
  protocol: http
#Service
apiVersion: v1
kind: Service
metadata:
spec:
  selector:
    app: webproxy
  ports:
    - protocol: TCP
      port: 80
      targetPort: 3000
#Ingress
apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
kind: Ingress
metadata:
  annotations:
    nginx.ingress.kubernetes.io/rewrite-target: /
spec:
  rules:
  - host: webmagic.dev2.flowmagic.io
    http:
      paths:
      - backend:
          serviceName: webproxy
          servicePort: 80
        path: /(.*)
#Deployment
apiVersion: apps/v1
kind: Deployment
metadata:
  labels:
    app: webproxy
  namespace: dev-arka
spec:
  replicas: 1
  template:
    metadata:
      annotations:
        consul.hashicorp.com/connect-inject: "true"
        consul.hashicorp.com/transparent-proxy: "true"
    spec:
      containers:
      - env:
        - name: REDIS_HOST
          value: webproxy-redis
        - name: WEBMAGIC_UI_HOST
          value: webmagicui
        - name: KEYCLOAK_URL
          value: http://static-server/iam/
        image: registry.dev2.flowmagic.io/apps/webproxy
        imagePullPolicy: Always
        name: webproxy-container
        ports:
        - containerPort: 3000
          protocol: TCP

If the envoy proxy is only getting / then I think there’s probably an issue with the Ingress object’s config? Does nginx.ingress.kubernetes.io/rewrite-target: / work? Looking at Rewrite - NGINX Ingress Controller they are using something a bit different.

1 Like

Hello @lkysow Thanks for your help. My ingress configuration was indeed a problem. After fixing it, I am able to make it work as expected.

Thanks
Parag

1 Like