Problems doing the GKE Terraform Tutorial

I’m doing the “Provision a GKE Cluster (Google Cloud)” tutorial, and on running terraform apply for the recommended (and edited with my project-id) config files, the VPC gets created, and then, after about 12 minutes of processing on the cluster, it fails with a weird cluster related error:

google_container_cluster.primary: Still creating… [13m30s elapsed]
google_container_cluster.primary: Creation complete after 13m35s [id=projects/MY-PROJECT-ID/locations/us-central1/clusters/MY-PROJECT-ID-gke]
google_container_node_pool.primary_nodes: Creating…

│ Error: error creating NodePool: googleapi: Error 403: Insufficient regional quota to satisfy request: resource “SSD_TOTAL_GB”: request requires ‘600.0’ and is short ‘100.0’. project has a quota of ‘500.0’ with ‘500.0’ available. View and manage quotas at https://console.cloud.google.com/iam-admin/quotas?usage=USED&project=MY-PROJECT-ID., forbidden

│ with google_container_node_pool.primary_nodes,
│ on gke.tf line 35, in resource “google_container_node_pool” “primary_nodes”:
│ 35: resource “google_container_node_pool” “primary_nodes” {

As far as I know, I have approved the relevant APIs (I’ve created a standard cluster and VPC previously in the same project). Do I need to somehow define quotas for this to work, or is this error odd? How do I make the tutorial work correctly?

1 Like

I found a potentially relevant thread on Stack Overflow. Changing the location field in the gke.tf file does seem to help here. I did exactly as the thread suggests, and it worked.

I’m not sure if turning my cluster into a zonal (rather than regional) cluster is a good thing, but it would be good if someone at Hashicorp looked at the tutorial to see why this fix works.

I have exact same problem following GKE Terraform Tutorial.