Provider-version upgrade-cadence best practice

What is the best practice for upgrading provider versions over time? Should we wait to upgrade the provider version until we absolutely have to, because we need a particular bug fix or enhancement, and then just trust that as long as the plan output looks OK, it is safe to deploy? Or should we review the provider change logs and upgrade on a regular basis? The latter seems onerous, because every week there are a lot of updates to the provider we are using (azurerm).