Question regarding creating multiple RDS instances and reuse of modules/scripts

I am new to Terraform, but have gone through the tutorial on using Terraform to create AWS RDS instances, and now have a main.tf, variables.tf, etc that I’ve used to successfully create an RDS Postgres database instance with name ‘example’ (for example). I have a use case where I need to be able to create a variable number of instances either all at once (for example, 30 RDS database instances), or one at a time… …i.e. create 5 initial instances, then add one occasionally.
I have tried changing the database name in my variables.tf to ‘example2’ for example, but running terraform apply after this results in renaming the existing ‘example’ to ‘example2’, a modification, to the existing instance, not a new instance.
I feel I am missing something fundamental in how to reuse my terraform main.tf for these scenarios. I’ve gone through the documentation and been unsuccessful so far.

An instance of a resource represents one “thing”, so one instance of the RDS resource is one RDS database server/cluster. If you edit the code that defines that instance you will change the instance in AWS once you do a terraform apply.

If you want multiple RDS servers you need multiple resource instances in the terraform code. There are two ways to achieve that:

1. Have multiple resource blocks with different details.
  2. Have a single resource block, but use the count or for_each options to create multiple instances

The use of count & for_each are really powerful and cater for the case where you want multiple instances of basically the same thing - usually the definition is pretty similar between instances with only a few things changing (e.g. name, size, etc.)

You might write your code to use a variable (maybe controlled through a tfvars file) or local to set up which instances are created, so adding another instance (or adding 100 more instances) is just a case of adjusting the value of that variable. A simple terraform apply and you have your new instances in AWS. Similarly you can adjust the variable to remove (or change) instances really easily too.

1 Like