Quick Start box fails to mount /vagrant on Ubuntu 20.04 host, Virtualbox 6.1/7

I’m running into a problem that is proving too difficult for me to figure out on my own, with the assistance of Google and forums:

On my host running Ubuntu 20.04 and Virtualbox 6.1 (or 7 for that matter) the /vagrant mount fails during boot of the box.

journalctl log:

Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant mount[1247]: /sbin/mount.vboxsf: shared folder '/vagrant' was not found (check VM settings / spelling)
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant systemd[1]: vagrant.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=1
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant systemd[1]: vagrant.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant kernel: vboxsf: g_fHostFeatures=0x8000000f g_fSfFeatures=0x1 g_uSfLastFunction=29
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant kernel: vboxsf: Successfully loaded version 6.1.42 r155177
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant kernel: vboxsf: Successfully loaded version 6.1.42 r155177 on 4.15.0-58-generic SMP mod_unload  (LINUX_VERSION_CODE=0x40f12)
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant kernel: vboxsf: SHFL_FN_MAP_FOLDER failed for '/vagrant': share not found
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant kernel: vbsf_read_super_aux err=-6
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant systemd[1]: Failed to mount /vagrant.
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Remote File Systems.
Mar 03 11:33:31 vagrant systemd[1]: remote-fs.target: Job remote-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.

If I, after the box has started, run sudo mount -a, /vagrant will be mounted without issues.

I can’t figure out where the issue is coming from and as a result I’ve run out of ideas as to how to approach it, and find a solution.

As to the question why this is a problem is the cascading failures this brings. For instance Dependency failed for Remote File Systems. I’m using MySQL (Percona) and the service installs itself with a dependency to e.g.

After=local-fs.target remote-fs.target
Requires=local-fs.target remote-fs.target

which prevents the startup sequence of MySQL service to run.

Thanks in advance.

Am I the only one who is getting this issue? Or is there something obvious I’ve missed?

Having poured over many more systemd-files in the box, I’ve probably nailed down the “unit” that fails; /usr/lib/systemd/system/remote-fs.target

with its contents of

[Unit]
Description=Remote File Systems
Documentation=man:systemd.special(7)
After=remote-fs-pre.target
DefaultDependencies=no
Conflicts=shutdown.target

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

but there isn’t much I conclude from this. It’s opaque as to why it fails to mount /vagrant but it’s consistently failing. I’ve also tried another box; geerlingguy/ubuntu2004 with the same result; /vagrant fails to mount.

What gives? Anything else I can look into? Or it’s just “how it is” and I need to figure out a workaround?

Hey there,

If you can provide a minimal Vagrantfile that reproduces the behavior you’re experiencing, I’d be happy to see if I can reproduce the behavior and determine what’s going on.

Cheers!

Sure!

I’m really stumped and can’t really figure out what’s happening, so any new approaches/tests/insights are welcome!

I realise this isn’t all that “minimal” of a Vagrantfile (or comment), but I wanted to disclose that it’s the contents of the Vagrantfile created by this tutorial, Initialize a Project Directory | Vagrant | HashiCorp Developer, which is a mostly commented out Vagrantfile referencing hashicorp/bionic64 as the VM to use.

Vagrantfile

# -*- mode: ruby -*-
# vi: set ft=ruby :

# All Vagrant configuration is done below. The "2" in Vagrant.configure
# configures the configuration version (we support older styles for
# backwards compatibility). Please don't change it unless you know what
# you're doing.
Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|
  # The most common configuration options are documented and commented below.
  # For a complete reference, please see the online documentation at
  # https://docs.vagrantup.com.

# Every Vagrant development environment requires a box. You can search for
  # boxes at https://vagrantcloud.com/search.
  config.vm.box = "hashicorp/bionic64"

# Disable automatic box update checking. If you disable this, then
  # boxes will only be checked for updates when the user runs
  # `vagrant box outdated`. This is not recommended.
  # config.vm.box_check_update = false

# Create a forwarded port mapping which allows access to a specific port
  # within the machine from a port on the host machine. In the example below,
  # accessing "localhost:8080" will access port 80 on the guest machine.
  # NOTE: This will enable public access to the opened port
  # config.vm.network "forwarded_port", guest: 80, host: 8080

# Create a forwarded port mapping which allows access to a specific port
  # within the machine from a port on the host machine and only allow access
  # via 127.0.0.1 to disable public access
  # config.vm.network "forwarded_port", guest: 80, host: 8080, host_ip: "127.0.0.1"

# Create a private network, which allows host-only access to the machine
  # using a specific IP.
  # config.vm.network "private_network", ip: "192.168.33.10"

# Create a public network, which generally matched to bridged network.
  # Bridged networks make the machine appear as another physical device on
  # your network.
  # config.vm.network "public_network"

# Share an additional folder to the guest VM. The first argument is
  # the path on the host to the actual folder. The second argument is
  # the path on the guest to mount the folder. And the optional third
  # argument is a set of non-required options.
  # config.vm.synced_folder "../data", "/vagrant_data"

# Provider-specific configuration so you can fine-tune various
  # backing providers for Vagrant. These expose provider-specific options.
  # Example for VirtualBox:
  #
  # config.vm.provider "virtualbox" do |vb|
  #   # Display the VirtualBox GUI when booting the machine
  #   vb.gui = true
  #
  #   # Customize the amount of memory on the VM:
  #   vb.memory = "1024"
  # end
  #
  # View the documentation for the provider you are using for more
  # information on available options.

# Enable provisioning with a shell script. Additional provisioners such as
  # Ansible, Chef, Docker, Puppet and Salt are also available. Please see the
  # documentation for more information about their specific syntax and use.
  # config.vm.provision "shell", inline: <<-SHELL
  #   apt-get update
  #   apt-get install -y apache2
  # SHELL
end

Procedure

1. vagrant up && vagrant ssh, wait for box to start and connect to the guest
  2. sudo journalctl, search for “mount” and notice no issues are reported
  3. ls /vagrant, notice that files are accessible without issues
  4. Disconnect from the guest
  5. vagrant halt && vagrant up && vagrant ssh, wait for box to restart and connect to the guest
  6. sudo journalctl, search for “mount” and notice that there are now issues with the /vagrant mount, see below
    • Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Started Wait for Network to be Configured.
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Reached target Remote File Systems (Pre).
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Starting Availability of block devices...
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Mounting /vagrant...
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server...
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Started Availability of block devices.
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant mount[917]: /sbin/mount.vboxsf: shared folder '/vagrant' was not found (check VM settings / spelling)
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant kernel: vboxsf: g_fHostFeatures=0x8000000f g_fSfFeatures=0x1 g_uSfLastFunction=29
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant kernel: vboxsf: Successfully loaded version 7.0.6 r155176
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant kernel: vboxsf: Successfully loaded version 7.0.6 r155176 on 4.15.0-58-generic SMP mod_unload  (LINUX_VERSION_CODE=0x40f12)
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant kernel: vboxsf: SHFL_FN_MAP_FOLDER failed for '/vagrant': share not found
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant kernel: vbsf_read_super_aux err=-6
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: vagrant.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=1
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: vagrant.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Failed to mount /vagrant.
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Remote File Systems.
      Mar 14 09:30:19 vagrant systemd[1]: remote-fs.target: Job remote-fs.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.

7. ls /vagrant, notice that files are accessible without issues

Problems that are caused by /vagrant not mounting correctly

The problem with the mounting issue presented in journalctl at step 6 means that services installed that rely on local-fs.target remote-fs.target to succeed, automatically fail to run/start. Percona is one such service that I experience this specific issue with.

System information

Host

• Ubuntu 20.04.5
$ VBoxManage --version
7.0.6r155176

• Ubuntu 18.04.3
$ VBoxClient --version
7.0.6r155176

(getting VBoxClient to work in this case required installing sudo apt install libxt6 libxmu6), but there was no change regarding the /vagrant-mounting failure presented in sudo journalctl after libx* installation and restarting the box again.

Additional observations

During the first vagrant up run (step 1 above), there are a few errors and warnings such as

Removing installed version 6.0.10 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-58-generic
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-7.0.6/bin/VBoxClient: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-7.0.6/bin/VBoxClient: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and

VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until 
the system is restarted
An error occurred during installation of VirtualBox Guest Additions 7.0.6. Some functionality may not work as intended.
In most cases it is OK that the "Window System drivers" installation failed.
Unmounting Virtualbox Guest Additions ISO from: /mnt
Got different reports about installed GuestAdditions version:
Virtualbox on your host claims:   6.0.10
VBoxService inside the vm claims: 7.0.6
Going on, assuming VBoxService is correct...
Restarting VM to apply changes...

But, what’s also notable is that during the first vagrant up run (step 1 above), there is no mention of the /vagrant-mount causing any problems. It’s the subsequent runs (step 5 above) that presents those. And the /vagrant-mount consistently work, as in, I can access the files from within the guest no matter step 1 or 5.

The cause of the behavior you are seeing is due to the VirtualBox guest additions being updated on the guest. This is generally seen when the vagrant-vbguest plugin is installed. Removing that plugin should prevent the behavior you are experiencing.

You hit the nail on the head!

After having uninstalled the Guest additions plugin and rebuilt the box, the mounting issue went away.

Thanks for the insight!