Vault questions

I’m having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around Vault. I can see it can protect secrets like database credentials that programs need, but I’m still hazy on some other aspects:

1. Is Vault something that competes with IdentityServer? I see Vault has identity based access.

2. Can I use Vault to authenticate users with a sign-in page where they give a username and password?

Hi cashihorp,

Thanks for asking your questions on the community forum.

1. Not really. Vault can leverage an identity provider, but it doesn’t have all the features to act like one.

2. It’s not clear what you’re asking here. Vault provides a web UI that users can use to authenticate and access the secrets in Vault. But I’m guessing that you want something more than this. Can you elaborate on your use case please?

Best,
Nick

Probably a dumb question: Vault can’t act as an identity provider for end users, right? Like a user sign in and registration feature, password recovery, etc.

It doesn’t seem like it, but I’m just making sure. Vault isn’t for end user credentials, right?

Vault is not like a single sign on getting a user session and you are logged in somewhere automatically. It’s a secrets management for retrieving passwords and logging in to the appropriate service afterwards. If that’s the question. :slight_smile: