Want to know if vault can be used as a password manager and can i search vault with just a string name rather than the path

Hi ,

We are planning to move our current password manager database to vault , we wanted to be able to search for a particular username within vault and after going through the vault interface i figured out that i cannot search for a particular username , so i am starting to think if vault can be used as a password manager and what are the use cases wherein vault might be a right fit. I would really appreciate if someone can give me the information regarding it since we are in the process of moving all the credentials from our existing password manager to vault and don’t want to go through the ordeal of moving all the usernames and passwords over to vault and not be able to search for a particular string.

Thanks,
Laliche

1 Like

This is an issue we’ve discussed at length in our org. Vault as a password manager causes some pain to users that need to manually retrieve and enter passwords, it works for this use case but it’s not that friendly. Retrieving passwords from scripts and configuration management systems is where Vault really shines for us.

Search is discussed in detail here and some third party solutions suggested.

1 Like

There is another open-source alternative implemented as KeePass plugin