The Nomad team is excited to announce Nomad 1.0! Thank you to everyone who helped us get here. Nomad’s first release, 0.1.0, was released 5 years ago. 70 releases later we’re excited to continue our relentless focus on delivering a simple and flexible workload orchestrator. The Nomad team is excited to keep engaging with the community to make the next 5 years even better than the first.
Nomad 1.0 includes a number of exciting new features:
- Dynamic Application Sizing (Enterprise) - Nobody likes tuning the resources stanza. It requires running an app under load, observing it, and then estimating requirements. Dynamic Application Sizing automates that by monitoring task resource utilization and making recommendations for operator approval.
- Event Stream - Inspired by the excellent nomad-firehose project and years of user feedback, Nomad is excited to introduce first class event stream support. There are a number of performance and usability tradeoffs to consider, so user feedback is appreciated!
- HCL2 - Nomad’s HCL support is now in line with Terraform and other HashiCorp products. HCL2 adds powerful new features to jobspecs, so please don’t hesitate to submit feature requests and report backward compatibility issues.
- Namespaces Open Sourced - The community asked and HashiCorp listened. Namespaces are now free and open source.
- PostStop - Tasks can now run after all other tasks have finished.
- Topology Visualization (UI) - See all datacenter, node, and allocation information in one place. We hope this tool dramatically improves operators’ sense of cluster utilization, so please submit feedback.
In addition to these new features, Nomad’s end-to-end test suite has expanded substantially during the 1.0 development cycle. The test suite is open source and uses Terraform. Please feel free to try it out yourself!
Changes since 1.0-rc1:
- Fixed a bug in the event stream where Allocation events where misspelled [GH-9527]
- Fixed a typo in the error message displayed for invalid job names [GH-9520]
The Nomad Team
1.0.0 Binaries - https://releases.hashicorp.com/nomad/1.0.0/
1.0.0 Upgrade Guide - https://nomadproject.io/docs/upgrade/upgrade-specific#nomad-1-0-0