Vagrant up fails on macOS 13.x / Ventura with latest (2.3.2) vagrant release

The current release version of vagrant (2.3.2) fails during vagrant up with the following error on macOS 13.x…

There was an error while executing VBoxManage, a CLI used by Vagrant for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: [“hostonlyif”, “create”]

Stderr: 0%…NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
VBoxManage: error: VBoxNetAdpCtl: Error while adding new interface: failed to open /dev/vboxnetctl: No such file or directory
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
VBoxManage: error: Context: “RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)” at line 105 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp

This occurs both with VirtualBox 6.x and 7.x and after allowing VirtualBox “Login items” access, etc. via the macOS Settings app.

Full un-installs and re-installs of both Vagrant and Virtualbox make no difference.

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Like jparker, I also fully uninstalled/reinstalled both Vagrant 2.3.2 and VirtualBox 7.02. No joy; I get the same error messages after reinstallation.

Similar issues were after updating to Monterey/Big Sur
The fix was

sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv;
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt;
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp;
sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB;

But this one doesn`t help

Idem here. Im still dealing with the problem. We need a virtualbox update quick to solve the issue.

Same experience. I have been through all the previous workarounds mentioned, with no success. Luckily I am not alone. I will wait for a fix

Following for a fix. Tried updating VB to 7, and Vagrant to 2.3.2 and even back down to 6.1.40.

+1. Tried with VBox 6.1.40 and VBox 7.0.2, update vagrant and no case. The traditional fix after upgrading macOS gives me an error and its seems try to use 6.1.40 and not the updated 7.0.2

Hello docker again until this has been solved.
Thanks a lot

Looks like the kext’s are not signed properly and the OS is blocking them via SIP. I found a temporary workaround until they fix this by disabling SIP. (Warning: This may be unsafe for your Mac) Tested on VirtualBox 6.1.40.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/disabling_and_enabling_system_integrity_protection

2 Likes

Disabling SIP works.

1. Disable the SIP per the link above from @rbarguelles

2. Then run the

it may tell you that you have to “Approve in System Preferences …”

1. Then open up System Preferences (check to see if you need to “approve” anything under Privacy & Security). It may also tell you to reboot to enable new extensions … or something like that

2. Reboot to have the kextload take effect

2 Likes

Thanks @chrisgo and @rbarguelles it works again with virtualbox 6.1.40 , disabling SIP, and running the old commands sudo kextload…

I hope that another solution a bit more friendly can come soon.

1 Like

W-2:rhcsa8env w$ sudo kextload -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Password:
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -b org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=71 “Could not find: Extension with identifier ‘org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv’ not found” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Could not find: Extension with identifier ‘org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv’ not found}

Hosts running recent macOS versions do not support host-only adapters. These adapters are replaced by host-only networks, which define a network mask and an IP address range, where the host network interface receives the lowest address in the range.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#network_hostonly

What we did was to specify the “virtualbox__intnet” flag in the Vagrantfile and it worked.

4 Likes

Yeah this seems to still be an issue.

Same issue on my end after updating to Ventura. Unfortunately, previous fixes for Monterey, etc. are not working for me either.

Same here none of the suggestions above worked for me

For those who may still have this issue please take a look at this GitHub thread. It seems to have worked for me.

Confirm this works:

Thanks Cromian! The post from Ivanner was in the right direction but this gist is what you need to change in your homestead.rb. Just ensure you use Virtualbox 7.0.2 and that you create a local network (everything is in the referred issue).

Hope it hhelps

It works
but Im not able to attach NFS shared folder

It does not work for me. I have posted my Vagrantfile on that page.

Anybody know when there will be a fix?

This issue has been addressed here and will be included in the 2.3.3 release. The 2.3.3 release is process is currently running and should be completed in the next hour or so. Until then, if you need something right now, you can grab a nightly package from here.