Waypoint HCL JSON example

Can we see an example of how we can write the waypoint.hcl file in JSON format? I cant see this documented anywhere and we want to see this to work out how we can automate its generation

Hey there @SubatomicHero1! Here is an example of a Waypoint config that is both JSON and HCL so you can see the difference:

{
    "project" : "test",

"app": {
        "web": {
            "build": {
                "use": {
                    "docker": {}
                },

"registry": {
                        "docker": {
                            "image": "${artifact.image}",
                            "tag": "${gitrefpretty()}",
                            "local": true
                        }
                    }
                }
            },

"deploy": {
                    "docker": {}
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
project = "test"

app "web" {
  build {
    use "docker" {}

registry {
      use "docker" {
        image = artifact.image
        tag = gitrefpretty()
        local = true
      }
    }
  }

deploy {
    use "docker" {}
  }
}

However recently we noticed a bug where we weren’t actually loading json configs in Waypoint, but that has been fixed and already merged into main via GH-867. It should be included in the next release, sorry it doesn’t work at the moment! :heart:

In the meantime, as a preview, you can view the documentation for JSON syntax here https://tip.waypointproject.io/docs/waypoint-hcl/syntax/json. Hopefully that clears some things up.

Nice thanks Brian! We are waiting for that release before we start using Waypoint in anger. Any news also on when the Cloud Run plugin will support VPC connectors? (100% blocking us)

Sorry for the digression!!

Hey @SubatomicHero1 - Sorry, I missed your comment here :frowning: I’m not sure, but I recommend opening a GitHub enhancement request for this if there isn’t one already! That will help us keep track of it and bring more visibility to the request. Thanks :slight_smile: :heart:

Hey Brian,

No worries, yes there is an issue there already

Thanks
Martin