How to provide existing ALB arn in the ECS deploy?

I’m trying to provide existing ALB to the ECS plugin through alb.listener_arn but getting syntax error or asking for certificate ARN

There is another variable in the AWS ECS plugin for alb.certificate , perhaps sharing yours (without any sensitive info) waypoint.hcl file without would help? The ECS examples I’ve seen create infra like the ALB for you, whereas your situation is different (bring your own ALB), so the examples or docs could probably be improved to shows that scenario too.

To do this, you provide the arn of an existing listener to alb.listener. That listener should already be attached to an ALB and can be configured however you’d like.

I can’t get this to work, setting listener_arn errors out and says it requires certificate, zone_id and domain_name but setting all of them I get “When using an existing listener, Route53 setup is not available”

Im wondering about this aswell. I run into the same limitations as @supergibbs

Got the same situation… Someone found a way to make this work?

1 Like

No updates on this topic?

I am unable to recreate the described issue. Could someone please share their waypoint.hcl and their Waypoint version output? (Note for past commenters: we have done work around the aws-ecs plugin since this was originally posted, so the errors described may have been fixed.)

$ waypoint version
CLI: v0.5.1 (76d7e17f)
Server: v0.5.1

My waypoint.hcl:

project = "example-python"

app "example-python" {

build {
    use "docker" {}
    registry {
      use "aws-ecr" {
        region     = "us-east-1"
        repository = "waypoint-example"
        tag        = "latest"
      }
    }
  }

deploy {
    use "aws-ecs" {
      region = "us-east-1"
      memory = "512"
      alb {
        listener_arn = "arn:aws:elasticloadbalancing:us-east-1:[redacted]:listener/app/rae-example-python/[redacted]/[redacted]"
      }
    }
  }
}

Result:

» Releasing...

The deploy was successful! A Waypoint deployment URL is shown below. This
can be used internally to check your deployment and is not meant for external
traffic. You can manage this hostname using "waypoint hostname."

Release URL: http://rae-example-python-1729133206.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com
Deployment URL: https://highly-able-guinea--v1.waypoint.run