Target Audience?

Who is the target audience of Waypoint? As I read through the documentation I feel as though it is largely geared toward developers. Is Waypoint supposed to be something that developers would install on their own without needing to work with the SysOps team?

I am a system administrator in charge of managing infrastructure. I read the documentation from the perspective of setting up a Waypoint server in a Nomad cluster so that the developers in the company can more easily deploy their own software. Yet the docs are sparse when it comes to installing the server in a manual and automated fashion. The docs are a bit sparse when it comes to installing on Nomad, which seems weird since Nomad is also a Hashicorp product.

I recognize that Waypoint is still in beta and that the documentation will continue to grow and improve. I will keep reading. =)

3 Likes

Hello! The target audience is two-pronged, as you have noticed. The goal is that a sysops team would set up the Waypoint server for the dev team’s use, and that developers would then enjoy the PaaS experience as part of their development and release flow.

As for the documentation around installs, are there pieces of information you specifically wished were in the Nomad documentation? We have the docs as you have seen, and also provide a Learn guide to give people a base model to follow. We definitely would like to fill those out further though if you can point us to pieces of info you see as critical and missing.

And finally, yes as you said, we’re are still building the product out :slight_smile: We have several Nomad-specific items on our roadmap for upcoming releases. We’d love to see any suggestions you have if you want to open GitHub issues for those!

1 Like

@krantzinator, thanks for the response. Off the top of my head I do not have any specifics. I have moved past some of the parts that were giving me trouble. I am just remembering my general perception of the docs as I have gone through them. If I remember past documents that I had problems with or bump into new ones, I will submit issues for those. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sounds good! Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

The Running a Server page is a good example, to me, of the target audience being the developer.

The recommended way to install the server is using the waypoint install command. This command will install a server into Docker, Kubernetes, AWS ECS, or Nomad, bootstrap the server, and configure your local CLI to access that server. It is a single command to get up and running with Waypoint.

Even the advanced “Bootstrap the Server” section talks about configuring a “context” for local use:

This will output the bootstrap token but more importantly this will configure a CLI context automatically.

I understand that the waypoint binary was built to be monolithic, and it really does feel like an end-user appliance.

Should each of my development teams be running and bootstrapping their own Waypoint servers by themselves? That would mean I would need to give them permissions to deploy Nomad jobs (the waypoint job`) to company Nomad servers. Though the documentation makes it also seems as though developers are expected to run Waypoint locally or on some local shared team resources.

I’m also struggling to understand how should we use Waypoint.
So I want to offer our Nomad infra as a PaaS. Waypoint would be an obvious choice.
However I would like to have some kind of RBAC with OIDC auth, so ‘developer team A’ would not have access to ‘developer team B’ 's projects and vice versa.
In other words, I would like to see permissions setups on projects. As I understand that is not an option currently. If I want to have permissions control, I will need a Waypoint server per developer team.

I’m in a similar situation as well. I would like to deploy Waypoint as a service into an existing Nomad + Consul + Vault infrastructure. Ideally, I’d like to template out the certificates with Vault. Really struggling to get this going. I just keep coming back after a couple weeks or so with no progress.

Promising product but the execution is a little lacking.

Waypoint is primarily targeted towards developers and aims to simplify the deployment and management of applications across different platforms and infrastructure. It provides a streamlined workflow for developers to define and deploy their software without needing deep knowledge of the underlying infrastructure. While Waypoint is designed to empower developers to deploy their own software, it can also be used in collaboration with SysOps teams to ensure seamless integration into existing infrastructure. Regards

Sounds cool. When will the “collaboration with SysOps” aspect be added?